A tad bit late, yes, but better late than never, right? A while ago I received the December Birchbox as a gift from the company. It was my first time ever trying a subscription beauty box, so I was VERY excited! Before I get onto the samples, I wanted to add that I liked the idea of a beauty box so much that I just subscribed to this service :-)
The products that my Birchbox contained -
- Number 4 Non-Aerosol Hairspray | £18.50 | - That's the black and white spray bottle above (I really should have added numbers to the items). I thought this was a really cool concept because it really is a hairspray without the aerosol! It sprays on like any other hair product and it holds my hair for quite a good amount of time. The only downside that I found was that it made my hair at the roots slightly greasy, however I do have a tendency of not keeping a very large distance when spraying products into my hair so that could actually be why, haha.
- Nail Rock Nail Glitter | £6.99 | - I was super excited about trying this product because I've never tested Nail Rock brand products before and never actually tried glitter on my nails either. It was a bit of a messy process but not too bad either. When I was done, the nails did feel a bit like sandpaper so I added a top coat which fixed it. I absolutely loved the effect on my nails and literally couldn't stop waving my hands in my friends faces :P
- Twistband | £10 for a pack of 6 | - This was the green band you can see tied around the green paper piece. At first I was really confused as to what it was but after reading the description and some reviews I found out that it's an anti-crease hairband which you can easily wear as a wristband as well. I've been wearing this ever since receiving it as it does give an incredible hold to my ponytails and gives it a nice finished look. I love this product so much that I will probably be buying some more of those as they do seem to last a long time!
- Sin-Care Party Girl Serum | £46.50 | - This serum aims to help your morning-after look by brightening up the skin. I didn't get to try it too many times as the squeezing thingy at the top broke after the 3rd or 4th try for some reason and I can't really get it out anymore now :( but it was so nice while it lasted! The texture was very silky and smooth and there were tiny sparkles in the serum which were not too obvious on your face. The smell was incredible too! So sad about the lid breaking :(((
- Alima Pure Luminous Shimmer Eyeshadow | £12.50 | - Ever since receiving this I've been using it almost daily. Even though I've had many eyeshadows before, this one feels so different and I can't even put my finger on why. It goes on very smoothly and while it is a bit sparkly, it is definitely not too much for the daytime.
- Lamilou Body Milk | From £22.00 | - This is the item I've tried least of in this box, simply because I usually prefer body butters rather from body milks, I'm just not a fan of a cream being so liquidy. Since this is a sample, it is the perfect size for travel so I did bring it with me to Germany a couple of weeks back and used it there. Mine is with coco butter and rose water, which smells heavenly!
The box also contained a brochure with hair ideas, gift tags and all kinds of Christmassy inspirations, as well as a $20 gift card for a jewelry brand called Baublebar which has recently expanded into UK. I didn't use this as I was afraid of custom taxes, but I'm just paranoid, ha!
A typical Birchbox costs £10, but there are lots of deals available, such as 6 months for £50 which sounds great! Since I'm such a beauty beginner, I decided to go for the deal where each month I simply pay £10 and can stop it anytime. I liked this deal because if I decide that this subscription programme is not for me, I haven't paid anything in advance and hit the cancel button immediately. The choice I took also offered free shipping, so that's great!
I was wondering whether any of you have tried subscription services before? Which ones and what did you think about them?